Cycles for Change is dedicated to being an educational space that teaches many classes on bike maintenance. Our classes vary by season and by staffing capacity of the organization; current classes will be listed below.
To register, find the class listed in the class calendar (above), click on the link for the class you want to register for, and fill out the registration form. You should receive a confirmation email.
Current class descriptions
ABC(Q)s of Bike Maintenance
Join us for a 2 hour class on the basics of how to maintain your bike. It will cover the ABC(Q)s of bike mechanics (Air, Brakes, Chain, and Quick Releases).
We will learn:
- How to pump up and fix a flat tire
- How to check your brakes work and make minor adjustments
- How to clean your chain
- How to properly (and safely!) close your quick releases
This class assumes no prior experience working on a bike.
- 5/3/2016 – Tuesday – Minneapolis Shop
- 6/16/2016 – Thursday – St Paul Shop
- 7/5/2016 – Tuesday – Minneapolis Shop
- 8/11/2016 – Thursday – St Paul Shop
- 9/6/2016 – Tuesday – Minneapolis Shop
- 10/4/2016 – Thursday – Minneapolis Shop
How to Buy a Bike
This is a class that teaches the basics of what to look for in buying a bike– used or new.
Knowing where to start as you look toward purchasing a bicycle can be a daunting task. We will talk about how to choose what style bicycle you want, and how to choose a bicycle based on your budget. We will cover how to purchase new and used bicycles.
- 5/3/2016 – Thursday – St Paul Shop
- 8/2/2016 – Tuesday – Minneapolis Shop
Bike Riding Classes for all levels!
Learn to Ride
This is a class that teaches the basics of how to ride and pedal a bicycle for adults who have never learned, or for whom it’s been a long time. Our curriculum starts with and emphasizes learning to balance, followed by learning to pedal. Then, we progress to working on basic bike handling skills and how to ride in the road. We provide helmets and bikes for participants during the class.
For more information, go to our Learn to Ride page.
Street Skills Class
This class teaches the basics of riding your bike safely on the street, and in traffic. First, we start in the classroom going over the rules of the road and the big picture of what you need to know in order to ride safely with traffic. Then, we head out on bicycle into the street to practice and experience these new skills on the road.
This is for both newer riders who are less comfortable riding in the street, and more experienced riders that would like additional tips for riding in the road.
- 6/7/2016 – Tuesday – Minneapolis Shop
- 7/21/2016 – Thursday – St Paul Shop
- 9/22/2016 – Tuesday – Minneapolis Shop
Quick Bike Check-up
How to Fix a Flat Tire