For the 2019 season, this position is primarily responsible for all aspects of the Youth Apprenticeship Program. The Youth Apprenticeship Program works with high school-aged young people to build the next generation of self-empowered community leaders and cyclists. Young people learn bike mechanics, support Open Shop programs, and help build vibrant, equitable bicycling communities within the Twin Cities through paid positions. Cycles for Change is grounded in the power of collaborative spaces and honoring diverse voices, and our Youth Apprenticeship reflects this ethos by co-creating platforms where young people’s voices are integrated in program development. Youth work alongside adult mentors to learn bike mechanics, movement building, community engagement, and college-ready professional skills.
Work Environment and Schedule
Must be able to work outdoors, stand for several hours at a time, and confidently ride a bicycle with a group. 2019 work schedule is Monday – Friday with occasional evenings and weekends for events. The Program Coordinator must be available to work during program hours from mid-June to mid-August. Work spaces include a 3rd floor open office that we share with another organization and that is accessible by elevator, as well as our retail and service shop, located on the first floor of the same building. Most of programming hours will be hosted in our Minneapolis office space.
- Teach and facilitate basic bike mechanics curriculum
- Use existing–and if necessary, develop new–curricula to teach and guide youth through understanding systems, developing critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Organize and lead group bicycle rides and field trips
- Teach safe bicycling habits and uphold safety
- Conduct youth outreach in surrounding neighborhoods
- Supervise and work collaboratively with the Youth Programs associate
- Attend youth related meetings with Step Up and Right Track
- Attend youth related events hosted/required by Step Up and Right Track
- Off-season will include revamping the youth apprentice programs with the Programs Department and Program Director
- Manage and track demographics and other data via C4C’s online database and registration platform, The Databank
- Recruit and/or coordinate community speakers, workshops, and trainings
- Respond promptly to all program inquiries, primarily by email and phone
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing and Communications Director on the development of digital and print promotional materials
- Work with the Executive Director and the Programs team to develop and collect evaluation metrics to track the programs’ effectiveness and impact
- Complete any end of season and grant reports in a timely and thorough manner
- Attend and assist at the C4C annual fundraisers and mandatory public events (for example: Youth Programs Silent Auction, C4C Bike BBQ)
- Attend staff meetings, Programs Department meetings, and other appropriate organizational gatherings
- Assist with additional organizational duties and programming support as needed
- Commitment to social, racial, gender, and environmental justice and an ability to speak effectively about bicycling within a justice framework
- Two years of experience with program coordination and delivery
- Experience working with youth and youth development
- Experience with program evaluation including data collection and tracking, and writing reports
- Culturally inclusive and knowledgeable about diverse cultural communities
- Comfortable working with Microsoft Office, Google drive, Google docs, and Google sheets
- Experience in teaching skills and concepts to individuals and groups
- Writing and social media communications experience
- The ability to work independently and on a team
- Flexibility, patience, reliability, and compassion
- Ability to speak Somali, Oromo, Hmong, or Spanish
- Intermediate knowledge of basic bicycle maintenance, fit, and sizing
- Black, Indigenous, and people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and non-U.S. born candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- Experience working with the Databank or similar CRM database
- Individuals interested in public health, transportation policy, social justice, and/or youth development are encouraged to apply
Cycles for Change is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, age, veteran status, marital status or status with regard to public assistance. Women, trans, gender-non-conforming, and Black, Indigenous, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Wage and Benefits
This position is a full time position at $16 per hour. This position is eligible to receive holiday pay plus Paid Time Off accrual at a prorated equivalent of 2 weeks/year. All employees receive discounts on new and used bikes and bike products.
Deadline for applications
Rolling; priority will be given to applications received by May 7, 2019.
Hours per week
30-40 hours. For the 2019 season, must be available Monday – Friday from mid-June to mid-August.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to [email protected] with the title “Program Coordinator Hiring” in the subject line.